Sunday, September 28, 2008

OUR 45th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

Today we have been married 45 years - and I still can't believe that much time has passed.
We were treated to a wonderful brunch with all of our children - it was such a delicious brunch in an old barn that had been converted into a beautiful restaurant. We were seated in the silo part today....the little ones thought that was such a fun thing, eating in a silo!

Doug and I met when I was just out of 9th grade during the summer (I had just turned 16).

I was from Janesville and he was from the little town of Milton just 6 miles from us and all the Milton guys charged into Janesville on Friday nights for Swing Lobby and the Cabaret dances.
I can't tell you how many Janesville girls married Milton guys but there were many.

We dated for well over 3 years, becoming engaged at graduation and marrying a little over a year later.

Our wedding day is kind of a blur for me - it was raining and by the time of the wedding which was to take place at 7 pm plus we were under a tornado watch!!!

The sky was so black at 5 pm it was like midnight - and at the last minute I'm running around looking for a pair of little white gloves for my niece who was our flower girl. I didn't think she needed them but mom thought different....sooooo, off I went, hair all done, out in the rain....arggghhh! GLOVES WERE FOUND!

And.....the wedding was delayed 1/2 hour for guests to arrive inside the church....oh, they were there, just waiting in their cars for the rain to stop.

Needless to say, the wedding went on as planned and no glitches after that.

7 moves later we found ourselves in Burlington because of a job transfer and this is where we have been for well over 29 years - I guess this is HOME.

We raised three sons, all now married with children of their own (5 grandchildren).

THEN.....SEPTEMBER 28, 1963























































































I wasn't fibbing about rain....the water was up to the curbs!

NOW......SEPTEMBER 28, 2008

17 comments:

  1. Just wonderful and you were a beautiful bride! I always think it's great when couples stay together all those years...I tried but it just wasn't meant to be, so congrats on your 45th may God bless you both.
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy anniversary karen~hope you both have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, I'm in the middle of trying to get this post formatted and didn't expect any posts..
    THANKS RONDELL AND ANGIE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary, Karen. Hope you & Doug had a great day.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Annivesary Karenand Doug!! Your wedding day looked story book!! I hope you had a perfect celebration! God Bless You! Tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, great pics Karen!
    What a dress:)

    Happy Anniversary to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANKS EVERYONE...
    YOU KNOW....AFTER BRUNCH WE CAME HOME - I'VE BEEN ON THE COMPUTER AND DOUG HAS BEEN CHANNEL SURFING BETWEEN THE BREWERS, PACKERS, DALLAS AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE...lol Gotta love the familiarity of 45 years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!!!....You two have alot to celebrate!....Nowadays people are lucky to last 45days!....sad but true....Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Char, isn't that the truth!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Anniversary Karen.... Those pictures are just beautiful... It is quite an accomplishment these days!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Karen. The time does fly by so quickly, doesn't it. Sounds like you had a nice celebration with family, the best kind! Hoping you have many more happy years together.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were a beautiful bride :)
    I love your Wedding Dress!
    If anything could happened, thank god it all happened before you were married. The rest of the day was perfect.

    Congratulations on 45 years. More and more today you don't see people making it past 5 years. I only hope that I can make it to 45 years with my loving hubby.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Suzy, Carla and Sandy.
    It just doesn't seem that long - time really does fly, it's not just a cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a beautiful couple you two were and still are! Congrats! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Debbie! Appreciat the comment.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on your 45th Anniv.
    Love your blog and will visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, I'm new to blogging and just today found you thru the grapevine. I've enjoyed your site, especially all those beautiful scenery pics but I couldn't leave without telling you this; You look as beautiful today as you did on your wedding day. Im not even sure you've aged at all!!! (Happy belated anniversary!) Happy Fall Ya'll........ God bless,
    Dena~

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came to visit - feel free to leave a comment.
I will try and answer as many as I can - maybe not immediately but I will get to you!

Karen