Sunday, July 27, 2014

A little of this a little of that!

Every had a birthday that just kept on giving – I said that in my last post and thought it had ended…NOT!
On Wednesday Doug’s cousins came over and surprised me with a birthday afternoon.  They brought snacks and we played cards then went downtown to Fred’s for burgers then back here for apple pie and ice cream…Perfect Day. Oh and a wonderful gift card for Kohl’s (guess what…it’s already spent. smiles-smiles-smiles!)

This group of gals are so fun and funny – never stop laughing when we are with them.
Before everyone left I set the camera on automatic and set it on the top of one of the  pie safes to get a group photo…well they thought I had it pointing at an angle so Gail said ‘tilt to the right’ and they all did LOL…
Girl cousins

Last week we finished up our little re-do of rooms…this time it was the bathroom that got it.  Not much but enough to look good.
Painted the cabinets, new hardware and new floor.

This is the old look…
Bathroom old

And the new look…
now it looks like the color is the same but believe me it’s much darker than the original color.  We used the same as in the family room. I like to keep the colors flowing in the house – not be drastic with changes.
New bathroom 1
New bathroom 2 
One more small addition to one of the guest rooms – we put up a wall shelf with pegs to put the antique baby clothing on. It’s one we had and thought it might work and sure enough…I really like it.  Now that is all we are putting on the walls. I want it simple.
 Wall shelf 1
Wall shelf 2
See this adorable child’s dish set…we bought that when Doug was working in England.  I was fortunate enough to go over there for a week while he was there.  We took a shopping trip one day and went to Harrods of London. I knew Peter Rabbit was an English story and so I was in search of something pertaining to it. We found this Wedgwood set for little Jesse (at the time he wasn’t born yet).
Peter Rabbit Dishes

This weekend was the town wide rummage sale so we went out browsing and found a few treasures we just had to have lol
But really I DID HAVE TO HAVE THIS…2 boxes of DMC all numbered and in order in plastic bags…the boxes are floss organizers.  Got the two boxes for $8.00.  I counted the bags and there are 285 – most bags have one skein but there are about 5 or 6 have several skeins.
DMC thread

Then this darling leather purse for .25
Black purse

What else did we HAVE to have…
A book of heirloom Embroidery for $1.00
Embroidery book

And 2 yards of Santa fabric for $1.00
Santa Fabric

Yesterday (Saturday) we went to my cousins 80th birthday party.
Got to enjoy seeing cousins I haven’t seen in a year and some even more.

My cousin Barb, Me and cousin Dave (they are brother and sister)

Donna Me Dave

Me with cousin Bev (another sister to the two above and the birthday girl)

 Me and Bev 2

That’s it for the fun things!!!

Been making a few things here and there to get ready for the Christmas show.
Trying to make some small things before I get working on Penny Rugs.
Large flower pins for coats

Large Coat Pins 

More strawberries…I made several awhile back and sold them all.
Strawberries in progress

And I will leave you with miss ‘Baby’ snoozing in the sunBaby in sun

Karen

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Karen, so nice of your wonderful friends to spoil you. Love your cabinets and new shelf in your guest room. Awesome goodies you found esp. the DMC floss. Love all of your creations, wish I could attend your craft show. hugs, Lecia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You hit the jackpot at the rummages this weekend. And I love the mustardy color of your cabinets - beautiful. My niece-in-law is a server at Fred's!!! Glad to hear you are having a wonderful birthday month. Btw, a friend told me there is a cute little shop that just opened on Main Street in Waterford (in the same building as the resale shop). I haven't been, but heard she has some cute country things. Might be worth a stop for you! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, all the new changes you've made look great!!!
    It's fun having birthdays that keep on giving, especially at our age. The tilt photo story is hilarious, everyone has great smiles.
    Baby looks so sweet!
    (((Hugs)))
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That "lean to the right" picture has me crackin' up! Soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All very lovely photos! Great sale finds...love that DMC one! Nice updates...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm tilting to the right as I type this, just in case! LOL!! That cracked me up. Great haul! Glad you had yet another happy birthday day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your birthday celebrations were perfect.
    Great buy on the DMC!
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo of the gals, too funny about the leaning! How neat of them to help extend your birthday!

    The rooms look great! I love Peter Rabbit too.

    Those are some great finds from the rummage sale! I wish I could find floss like that at sales.

    I love making those little strawberries too. Glad they are a good seller for you! ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I would have been 'over the moon' to get that DMC !
    What a great Birthday ;)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, thanks for sharing tidbits of your daily life with us. I always get excited when I see you have a new blog up, but am guilty of not taking the time to always respond. Love the new color of your cabinets in the bath. Do you mind sharing the color? Sounds like you have shared some happy times with family. No better way to spend a day. Have a great week.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Karen! Wonderful post! Love the room re-dos. Great finds .. have a great day!
    blessings,
    ~ronda
    simple thyme prims

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! Love your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday!!!! Love your bathroom!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came to visit - feel free to leave a comment.
I will try and answer as many as I can - maybe not immediately but I will get to you!

Karen