Tuesday, May 19, 2015

I scored!!!

Sunday was the first of the season flea market at the Elkhorn fair grounds.
I went alone because my husband is on his annual golf trip…now I loooove going places with him but for some reason I MADE TRACKS Sunday!
I was in and out of the spaces quickly – I scan the tables and the ground and if nothing peaks my interest on I go to the next one.  I made three trips around that area and if you have ever been there you know it’s huge.  It also sprinkled the entire time and very humid.  My hair was a fuzz ball – heat and humidity turns my hair into CURLS…I dislike it so much. But,
I did find a few items in spite of that ole rain that I’m very pleased with – and some of the fun was seeing 2 friends I hadn’t seen in ages.  Again…SCORE!

Nothing happening in my life right now to share – it’s kind of boring for that matter but it gives me the opportunity to get  my sewing done for my two orders that I have.  And I love working on them because they are my ‘traditional style runners’ – I love sewing just pennies for some reason.

Okay – again I digressed…have you noticed I do that a lot in my posts?

On with my treasures.
First are my wonderful tin items – bought them from the same booth…I couldn’t believe this Pineapple mold was still there as well as the Turkey cutter.
She had $8 on the mold and $5 on the cutter – gave them both to me for $10!!!  SCORE!
Flea market 2

And this beauty – it’s a bit unlevel but that can be taken care of easily enough.
It was $28 - got it for $25.
 
Flea market 3

And these bread boards – no mark down on them…she was firm with prices.  $12 and $8
I’m going to sand them down, paint and distress them to use for my punch needle.
 
Flea market 4

And this picture just helps to see  the actual size of everything.  Oh I love it all!!

Flea market 1

I also bought some fabric for my church ladies guild for their quilts.  There is quite a bit in each bundle so they should be able to add another color and get a complete quilt from it.
I was fortunate to find two pieces that went good together.
Fabric

Bought a couple of large potted flowers this weekend  - I love how it fits in the laundry cart.
 
Flowers 2

 Flower 1

Not sure where this one is going – wish I had another cart!!

Large flower 1

Son and daughter in-law brought this over for Mother’s Day
Flowers 3

This trellis had Bittersweet growing on it last year until the rabbits chewed them down to the base…no kidding. Not a  single piece of the Bittersweet was  left so this year the trellis is at the side of the garage – this would never have been my first choice of plant but it’s all that was available in our area. It’s a Honeysuckle.
Need to get more mulch for this area now.
Trellis 1

Made a wonderful cake this past week for Doug to take on his golf trip…Rhubarb cake is a tradition with the guys!!
It’s a buttery moist cake and you can put any kind of fruit in place of the rhubarb but I wouldn’t change it at all.
Hopefully I can get the recipe on my blog later today.
Cake 1

 Cake 2

Hope  you all are having a great start to your week – it was very warm and humid yesterday and today it is 50 and temps are dropping. Guess those plants will get covered tonight.

Blessings
Karen

31 comments:

  1. Great yard sale finds! Love it when that happens. Beautiful plants too. Love the old laundry basket in twigs.yesterday was very hot n humid here and today I'm in a sweater. The oven on would warm me up, not to mention how good the cake would taste too:) Rhubarb is growing here too. Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Hugs Marg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marge - sorry I didn't see your comment - didn't get an email that you posted!
      Thanks for the nice comments as usual...so kind.
      I put my Rhubarb cake recipe on tonight so if you like rhubarb cake it's in the 'favorite recipe' tab at the top.
      Karen

      Delete
  2. Karen I LOVE all your treasures! Great finds and prices!! The turkey cutter would make a great motif to trace around for a hooked rug!
    Your plants all look so wonderful! Be sure and cover tonight again.... I have all mine in the house and never even took them out today! What a pain!
    Man that rhubarb cake sounds delish!! Will be waiting for the recipe!
    Hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just loved reading about all your great finds. Sometimes it's so productive to go shopping alone. Thank you for sharing with us. I love the plant in the old laundry cart. You are an amazing decorator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - thank you so much.
      For some reason I really did achieve a lot alone this time around. Normally not so much.
      Thanks again for visiting me.
      Blessings
      Karen

      Delete
  4. I have rhubarb in the freezer to make a strawberry rhubarb pie. The cake might be better. Love your molds they are just fantastic I bought the same plant you did and set it in my old cast iron wash tub. Love the blooms. BTW honeysuckle(wild) is in full bloom here and it smells so good when sitting outside or walking to the mail box. Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your flowers are so pretty and I love the turkey cookie cutter. Also a friend just dropped off a bunch of rhubarb for us last night. He got it from an elderly neighbor who couldn't use it and didn't want it to go to waste. Would love your recipe for rhubarb cake. Enjoy those garage sale finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca - thank you so much. I got weak in the knees when I saw that cookie cutter lol And it's really heavy tin too so I do know it's not a 'today' kind of tin cutter.
      I put my rhubarb cake recipe on in the 'favorite recipe' tab at the top of my page.
      Blessings
      Karen

      Delete
  6. Cold in Ohio, too. I about froze mowing after work.
    Your old laundry cart is wonderful!!!
    Love that turkey cutter. You did score well.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many great finds. 'Love the pineapple mold and the turkey cutter. Question though: please excuse my ignorance, lol. What is the metal "unlevel" item?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danice - thank you so much for your nice comments.
      The tall tin piece is an antique candle mold.
      Karen

      Delete
  8. You scored for sure! Freeze warning here in Michigan. Brought my plants in too. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice - I don't know why I don't get an email when you post a comment. This has happened to 4 others today.
      I brought all our plants in tonight so maybe it won't freeze now! lol
      Good luck with yours.
      Karen

      Delete
  9. Would love the recipe! For some reason, I get more done in much less time, even simple errands, if I'm by myself. Great finds and great prices. I'm not getting emailed comments either, and so many others are no-reply .... like you! Didn't know you could post beneath the comments - will look into that when the brain fog clears. Hopefully some time this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You found some wonderful things. I was wondering how your cactus is doing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Debra
    Thanks for visiting!
    The cactus is doing good. Kind of got flat over the winter. We had a large flower pot over top of it to protect it from mounds of snow. I think I saw a blossom on it yesterday.
    Been meaning to let you know!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually that is a new cactus forming. I thought the same thing. Mine started out like yours and now it is 4 feet in diameter. It is called a prickly pear. So glad you like it

      Delete
  12. Hi Karen, Your post just get me so excited. Makes me feel like...I had better get going!!!! Your ideas are so good and interesting. I know this is your thing and you have a lot of fun. The honeysuckle is going to be rich and beautiful in another few weeks. We had it for years out at the grape arbor by our pool. Gorgeous sight.
    Your laundry basket is so gorgeous. I have just the spot for one of those. Thanks, Karen for allowing us to see all your beautiful ideas. I have been wondering about your back. You sure do keep up with things! Good!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. A friend of mine was selling at Elkorn this past weekend too, looks like you found some neat treasures for yourself!!! I would love to get your recipe for the cake, sounds yummy (i hate rhubarb) but I want to make it for my dad as he loves it. Growing up as a kid, when i got grounded, i had to bake dad a pie....not sure any more if i hated rhubarb because of that or the taste???? Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy - hope you get my message.
      I put the cake recipe up above in 'FAVORITE RECIPES' - hope you get to make it. Now I have made this cake for a few people that do not like rhubarb - they ate it knowingly - and said no way that was rhubarb in there. They thought it was more like apples. It's nice and sweet and bakes down to almost a custard consistency - the rhubarb that is...it doesn't stay in the hard form. So try it once - you will be amazed that the taste is not of rhubarb at all...but makes a great cake.
      Now I do NOT like rhubarb pie...ick...too gooey LOL
      Have a great Memorial holiday
      Karen

      Delete
  14. Karen you really did score big! ... love your flowers too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU...I will enjoy looking at the items I bought for sure.
      Flowers are difficult for me to keep alive but I try every spring ... )

      Delete
  15. Scored for sure Karen. Love that turkey cookie cutter. I have to get to the flea market, haven't been in years!! I would love that cake recipe. A friend from church has a bunch of rhubarb that I am getting some of. It looks very yummy!!
    Love your plants too. Very cool laundry basket~!!

    Enjoy your posts
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy - sorry I can't email you a message because of the stupid 'no-reply' in the return email...so frustrating. So I hope you get to see this.
      I want to thank you for visiting and leaving a comment.
      I put the rhubarb cake recipe in 'favorite recipes' at the top of my blog (right under the header picture).
      Hope you enjoy.
      Karen

      Delete
  16. You really did score on the turkey cutter and the pineapple mold... wow! What is the "beauty" with the long tubes, that isn't level? I can't figure that out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen...I know what you mean. I like to go by myself sometimes too cause it takes several trips around and easier to scope in on things. Love all your goodies and yes I hope you post that recipe.
    Have a wonderful weekend this holiday.
    Hugs
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. How wonderful! You find the most amazing things! Will await to see where those mold go! Please post the recipe if you can. I'm always interested in new ones especially that are personally recommended. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow you did score! Love the pineapple mold. Your flowers are doing wonderfully and love the laundry basket holder, so prim.
    Have a great weekend...keeping fingers crossed for clear skies,
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen you found some wonderful goodies at the show!!! I always pick up bread boards when I find them too!
    Wish I could of went to the show ~ I'm still planning on going to the Aug 9th show!
    Beautiful flowers ~ You'll have to look for another laundry cart at the next show!!!
    Happy Memorial Day!
    Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi karen, I'm just testing this to see if I can comment.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came to visit - feel free to leave a comment.
I will try and answer as many as I can - maybe not immediately but I will get to you!

Karen